Friday, June 19, 2009

Two Weeks Ago...House Renovation & Our Beautiful Paradise aka The Yard

A couple of weeks ago, I took some pictures of the continuing house remodel and of our yard. The house is really coming along and the "grounds" were absolutely beautiful. The sheetrocking and taping are done now and the third and final round of mudding is almost finished. We are getting very close to priming, texturing, and painting ~ whoo hoo! Then we'll put in the floors, doors, replace cabinets, fixtures, and appliances and it will be ready for move-in.

So, that brings us back to the common golden question: "Are you guys moving back in?"
Answer: We don't know - we'll see. Our hearts say "yes, yes, yes", our heads say "think about what you're doing" and our checkbook says, "you own the place, what are you thinking, of course you will!?"

It's insured, so if it floods again, we could collect the monies, break even on our investment and level the place. We just don't know. It's a hard decision. It'll probably not be ready until around October (since all the work is being done by us... aka Dave, Derren, and Jake) and that's close to the end of hurricane season---so we might...but we don't know.

Let's just move on to the pictures...

This is the extended portion of our master bath. We are turning the toilet, so that it will fit behind the side of the shower (behind that portion of green wall on the left) which will allow us to fit a double sink and more than one person in that bathroom at a time. It's now taped and mudded. The vanity and sinks will be on the wall on the right. Dave has already moved all the plumbing.
The living room is looking good
The kitchen is becoming a little more recognizable


And, this is one BIG part of our indecision - We LOVE our swamp/paradise aka our land---look how beautiful....
and when you are done looking at these pictures, think this: the yard is even greener and more lush than when I took these pictures!! Yup, it's true!

These are our gardenia bushes---they smelled wonderful!!!!
See the mulberries on our Mulberry Tree? They were sweet and sumptious! I guess that it had been well fertilized by the flood!
A Mulberry up close and personal -- it was delicious!
The mulberry tree (it's quite large--this picture offers no justice)
The wild pear tree
One of two little apples on our small apple tree
The apple tree
Up close - figs on our fig tree
Even closer---figs, yum!
Pears on the wild pear tree
The sky was GORGEOUS -again this picture doesn't do justice to the beauty
Our swamp paradise. The fig tree is the smaller bushier tree front and middle right. The tree front on the right is a some sort of orange/lemon tree--but the fruit is horrible. Blech!
Beautiful
Another picture of the gardenias
Can you understand our dilemma?! Our home is on a declared flood plain---it could flood tomorrow or perhaps in 20 years. Who knows!!
But we love the darn place AND we own it.
What would YOU do??????

4 comments:

Jill said...

Such a hard decision. I hope you get a peace on what to do soon. It's all looking good though. What fun plants. I never really knew what a mulberry was. :)

Rick Johnson Family said...

Live in Seattle :)
(thought you'd get a kick out of that comment)

Jenn said...

Oh, what a hard decision! The house is coming along nicely! And all those gorgeous fruit trees!!! I certainly wouldn't want to give those up! I know that you will receive an answer to your prayers, and that you will eventually KNOW what you are supposed to do! Love you! :)

Nana and Papa said...

Wow, it's beautiful! Whatever your decision, I pray that God will honor it...I'm hoping to make a trip there, someday, it looked so
pretty before, and now I'm sure that
it will be more breath taking. I've never been to Georgia, and the Amish sale looked like so much fun. I miss seeing and talking with you. Love to you and Dave, Cheri