Thursday, March 26, 2009

Another Sinkhole Update

Yeah, I know, I blogged on this sinkhole a few days ago, but it again has changed. We had been out there on a Saturday when I took the first pictures I posted, but on Tuesday, following a Sunday rainstorm, there had been more changes. I'm beginning to think that once the rains of summer come ~ and the potential storms (yikes!) ~ this house will be sitting at the bottom of this sinkhole. I also walked around the back of the house to notice a small bucket-size hole just under the back stairs to the porch. It definitely looks like this land is considerably unstable...but you know me...I live dangerously and had to get some more pictures!

This is from the front of the house-- the developing "trench" to the right of the center tree has been growing.
The tree appeared to be laying "flatter" across the sink hole
Note the gaps at the corner of the house. The air conditioner is only about 12 inches from the edge while the corner of the house actually seems to be straddling the hole edge
It just breaks my heart! This "cottage" home is one of my favorites. Sadly, the owners just handed it back to the bank--can't say I blame them.
And as I write this--we are getting a storm. There is lightning and thunder and it's just starting to rain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Linda, you are doing such a wonderful job of keeping us all updated with your blog. This sinkhole really makes me sad because like you, I thought that house was so lovely. It's great to see your house coming back to life too. Maybe you'll be totally back in it before we get back!
Love ya!
Marilyn