Monday, August 11, 2008

A Tale of Three Toads

Each night when we take the puppies out for the last time, we are greeted by these three toads sitting on the ledge or steps of our back porch. They are always busy catching the bugs that are circulating around the light. We have to be careful not to step on them. The red one is actually kind of pretty. They never seem to be bothered by us stepping over them, or having dog noses pushed in their faces. They are just the "regulars" who show up at night and disappear during the day.

I was told that they are our snake gauges--if they are around, there is no snake. Believe me. I'll take these toads any day over a snake....

The red one--he's my favorite
This little guy is VERY quick at catching bugs. It's kind of fun watching him.
This one is the largest. He's sitting in the lava rocks, so you can't get much perspective, but he's actually a pretty good sized toad.
Sadly, I haven't seen the two brown ones in the past couple of nights--only the red one---I sure hope they are OK and that a snake hasn't moved in!

3 comments:

Jill said...

How funny! Caitlin loved the pictures! Yes, I'd definitely take toads over snakes.

Stef said...

that's like us. we have a few BIG toads that love eatting the bugs on our front porch. One even uses a cool shaded corner under one of the beams for a home. We also had a spurt of tons of babies around the yard. A couple of the big ones moved on but the babies have moved it. we've counted as many as 5 at one time. I'll have to get pictures of our guest too. :) I love seeing them in the evenings.

Gina woodhouse said...

HOw fun! I can't wait to show Carly and Kalei the photos of the frogs. They'll love them!

It's great to be in touch and to view your updated posts to see what's the latest with the Browne family.