Saturday, August 30, 2008

Saturday, Late Edition Update

Today we got into our subdivision via the plantation behind us. It was about a 2-3 mile journey through the woods. The water has receded quite a bit, so we were able drive the Tahoe part way into our driveway. The rest of the water is ankle-to-shin deep, stagnant, and foul. We waded with our high boots and opened the house. Every window is open and without its screen---weird. We bought a couple of big 42" fans and have already set one up to dry out the living room. The electricity actually came on without a hitch. We left the house just like this--weird. I wonder what kind of animals will be living in there. Yech.

The sink hole has stabilized, but the roads are still blocked off.

We have gotten the first bands of Hurricane Gustav which is already a Category 4 in Cuba. We are all extremely fearful once it hits the Gulf of Mexico. If it reaches the panhandle of Florida at a Category 3 or above--we will all evacuate northward out of Georgia. We plan to spend Sunday planning our evacuation and getting our stuff organized. Hopefully, we won't have to use our evacuation plan.

Sadly, Hurricane Hanna is out there behind Gustav and two additional systems. If our subdivision gets another hit of high water we could all lose a lot more. I would suspect that the new sink hole will consume those two homes. It's all a big unknown. All I can say is that this is the first time I am truly fearful of an upcoming storm. TS Fay has left a deep impression. And, I'm not usually a Pessimistic Patricia or Nervous Nellie (it's really not my personality), but right now, I'm scared.

But, most of our fears are stemming from a deep sense of remorse today. I have been tearful all day long. It takes very little to start the crying jag. It's not that I am upset about the "stuff", it's just so difficult to be "homeless" yet still paying a mortgage. The clean-up will be a huge undertaking and will no doubt take months to complete. Danny and Dave started chalking above the water line. I pray that no one else has to go through this. It's heartbreaking.

Dave and I walked around our property (since we don't have a bridge over the gulley, we can't get to our pond) to assess the damage. Dave's log pile is spread out EVERYWHERE--logs are sitting on the fence, on the chicken coop, almost to the front yard, over near the neighbor's yard, and one is perched in the cactus. Not to mention the 80 pound railroad ties that are found all over too. The barn is also a mess. The old fridge is on its side and in the stall that houses the chicken coop. It floated across the barn. And, the smell is overwhelming! And speaking of smell, we haven't dared to open the fridge. The freezer has got frozen water bottles in the bottom, but everything above them is going bad.

The miracle of the day: Our precious neighbors. This tragedy has solidified our relationship. Everyone is watching out for one another. It doesn't get much better than that. Our neighbors across the street who are on higher ground (only their garage flooded) will be watching over our house while it is open and vulnerable. Thanks Dan and Geena! And, thanks Linda and Dave for your hugs and supportive words.

Thanks also to all of you who have been emailing and commenting on this blog. Your words of love and encouragement are so much appreciated. And, we're feeling those prayers. Thank you!

Yes, once again, we recognize our blessings. We are truly blessed.

May tomorrow be a better day. Please pray that we will all be spared from these threatening storms.

Good night!
Linda and Dave

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Mom,
Thank you so much for updating your blog everyday. It makes me worry about you less to see you in such "good" spirits. Both of your strength is AMAZING! Every night before I go to bed, I check your blog. You are in my heart and my prayers! I love you guys and be safe the next couple of days.

Anonymous said...

Never knew I had a famous brother. Boy what life time experiences you all are having in a few days. Just to let you know that I used some of your pictures in our fifth sunday lesson. Which was on our Ward emergency plan and how we are to be prepared. Our prayers are with you all and hope to speak to you someday soon. Could you send some of that water to California?

Jenn said...

So far, so good with the storms, eh? We haven't gotten a drop of rain here, so hopefully the other side of town is dry, too. You are an amazing lady, ans I truly feel fortunate to know you. I am so glad for these blogs that help bring us closer together. I am sorry I couldn't make it out to help today--I had already comitted the girls and myself to a neighbor to assist in another service project. But, PLEASE, the rest of my week is currently wide open---use me! Love you and we're still praying for you both!
~Jenn