Saturday, June 7, 2008

Just Some Thoughts...

Today I attended the funeral for a woman at church. Her death was sudden and unexpected--she passed away at home on Wednesday, June 4th just as she was preparing to go to work.


From the number of folks that attended her funeral and the graveside dedication, she was obviously loved and appreciated. As usual, the thoughts and remarks made regarding this special lady were reflective of the attributes that I myself recognized in her by being in her association. She was kind, thoughtful, and full of life. She also was a wonderful scriptorian and bore her testimony regularly of her love and commitment to Jesus Christ. She was always cheerful. Although I didn't know her well, she and I had had numerous conversations. I enjoyed her company, and was always inspired by her "can do" attitude. I will miss her. Sadly, as a single mom she leaves four children behind---3 grown, and one special 15-year old daughter. My heart aches for this young girl. She also leaves 9 grandkids.


Apparently, last weekend she felt impressed to go to Atlanta to see her one grand-daughter dance in her recital. She had never seen her dance before. Little did she know that it would be not only the first time, but the last time for her on this earth.

The wake up call for me here is that she was my age--49 years young. It's made me realize how quickly life can change. I count my blessings every day for the life I have. I am blessed with a terrific husband, wonderful kids and grandkids, and family and friends galore. Although I know I do, I try not to take so much for granted, but take the time to appreciate all that I have been given.

Thanks for your love and friendship.... Now go hug someone! You never know when it might be your time to return home. Don't waste time on petty indifferences, only invest time to build and sustain relationships. May each of us leave a legacy as profound as this special lady did. Even in death, she has inspired me to be a positive example to those around me.

3 comments:

Jill said...

What a beautiful post. You ARE a wonderful example to all of us. Wish you were closer to give you a hug! My mom left for a 3 week trip to Israel this morning. So, I'm needing a mom hug! :)

Jenn said...

Thank you for your beautiful post. And thanks for the sweet comments you left on mine. She was (and her spirit still is) a great influence for good. I have to believe that all she has taught her daughter up to this point will be enough to propel her forward down the correct life path. I can only hope to do the same for my daughters!

Lindsey said...

What an amazing post. I LOVE YOU LINDA !! It is incredible how fast it can happen. Seriously that was a very sweet post.