Sunday, April 12, 2009

Flooding Update - The Aftermath of Last Sunday's Storm

I'm sorry for the late posting on this information. First and foremost, we are fine and our house had water up to it, but not in it. What a blessing! The expected storm of last Sunday thankfully bypassed us for the most part. Although we had some rain, it was not nearly as much as expected. However, the storm did hit Valdosta and Albany VERY hard and many people were flooded out of their homes. My heart aches for all of them. Here are a few pictures from Valdosta (where I work). The water forced me to learn alternate routes to get to work, since Highway 84 was shut down for several days due to water over it (it took me an hour and a half to get to work the day after the storm). These pictures were taken by P. Casteen, not me. Since she is a friend of a friend, I just want her to have the credit for these amazing pictures:

A flooded road -- yes, this is a ROAD. The homes on it were only accessible by boat (we sure know how that feels!)
This is Highway 84 (westbound) - I now understand why I could not get through for several days
The railroad tracks that run along Highway 84.

Another flooded road This road was one of my routes to work. Sadly many homes were flooded as was the YMCA, where they will have to replace all the hardwood floors in their gym.

Although we are relieved that our house was spared, we can't help but feel sad for those who were affected. These pictures are just a few of the dozens and dozens of people whose homes were flooded. Please keep them in your prayers!

No comments: