Friday, February 6, 2009

Birthdays

Dave and I had birthdays this past week. His was Sunday, February 1st and mine was Wednesday, February 4th (and YES, this was a milestone birthday for me--the BIG 5-0--okay now hit me with your best shot!--I know you want to...).

Since Dave wanted a 12 layer chocolate cake---that is what he got...sort of. It actually was a gold cake with chocolate frosting. Since the cake place that made it is only open on the weekdays, Stefanie picked it up on Friday, January 30th. So, figuring it would be best fresh, we decided to celebrate Dave's b-day a little early. Here are a few pictures:
The cake aflame
Ethan helping Papa blow out the candles---not sure what Dave was doing ;-)
Dave getting ready to cut into it
Voila~ 12 luscious layers. Sadly, the cake was not as good as we had expected.
Ethan enjoying his share
When Dave's birthday actually came on Sunday---we served yet another round of this nice 12-layer cake. We were so glad we decided to eat it early! It was much better on Friday than it was on Sunday.
Then it was on to my birthday on Wednesday (and trivia note: I was born on a Wednesday).
There are no pictures of me because I was the one behind the camera. But, Stefanie caught a few on hers. You can check out her nice post on her blog (I had just gotten home from work --which explains my outfit).
Stefanie, Danny, Ethan, Emily, and Dave surprised me with a cheesecake sampler. I had told them "no cake for my birthday" so they had looked for a lemon meringue pie (one of my favorites), but were not so lucky. They figured I'd forgive them with this cheesecake since cheesecake is another of my favorite desserts. There were four flavors: chocolate swirl; chocolate chip, turtle, and German chocolate. I had a sampling of each.

Before the blaze
On fire!

Ethan was excited for the festivities and even sang a solo of "Happy Birthday" for me. He was awesome!Ethan helping me to clear the candlesYum!!And, the best part of my birthday were all the sweet Emily smiles that came just as they were about to leave. Isn't she cute?!I just can't get enough of those chubby little baby cheeks! Since Emily is a bit stingy with her smiles, I felt pretty lucky to get these and get them on camera!

As per my request for a peaceful and quiet 50th birthday--this was all just so perfect!

Happy Birthday to Us! So far, 2009 is A-OK

2 comments:

Jill said...

Your birthday desserts look SO yummy. Too bad the 12 layer cake wasn't as good as expected. I'm a sucker for cheesecake too!

I LOVE those chubby cheeks too. I wish I was there to pinch them!

Nana and Papa said...

Happy Bithday to both of you! I have not been very good with my
family and, or friends with cards
and/or phone calls...the house that we are renting causes us to have terrible phone reception. Too many trees and wind...Please forgive me...Looks like a good time was had by all. You, my dear, are a beautiful "50" year young lady. Welcome to the club, it's really not as bad a I expected it to be. I sure wish I could meet sweet Emily, she looks like a kissable baby!!! Happy birthday my dear friend, love you, Cheri