Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wednesday Update

Sorry, but I just read this post and some of it is not very well written. Forgive me, but I am tired. :-)

It's been another day of hard, exhausting work, but it's really been more of a day of small miracles. What more can I say ~ we are incredibly blessed.

The day started early with a group of men and a couple of boats. Danny's Dad and a member of our church brought their boats for us and provided several hours working to pack up things around the house. Danny also took the day off and helped Dave trek back over to the house. The water had receded about a foot or so, so the water in the house was only still in the sunken living room. We also had wonderful church family come to help receive the goods and pack them into the cars, trucks, and SUVs. Dave was interviewed by the same news reporter that interviewed me together. Since we weren't home, we never got to record it, but hope to catch the 11pm news here shortly.

In the afternoon, we had another couple of boats and a canoe, and a lot more friends and church family out to help. Again, it was overwhelming. I am truly humbled by the incredible service being rendered. These people are more precious than gold.

The main floor was just slippery and disgusting. The hardwood floor in the hall and entry way has buckled, and the boards are swollen. The carpeting is waterlogged and bulging. The tile floor in the kitchen has started to crack and is starting to sag. It appears that the house may be starting to sag inward on itself. It's heartbreaking. Every room is in shambles, but we were able to retrieve SO much!! One church member is letting us borrow his rather large trailer and we were able to almost completely fill it. Even the missionaries came out to join us in the muck. We managed to pull books off the bookshelves and clean out the kitchen cupboards and pantry and save all on the higher shelves in the closets. Much has been saved, but unfortunately we had some casualties--several of our animation cells have been destroyed. :-( But, we have so much more than others, and "stuff" is not important.

Oh--and our one neighbor found a baby alligator floating around (yes, alive). So I guess you could say we definitely have a swamp around our home. Oh boy--what's next?!

It breaks our hearts to see our home destroyed, but we have our lives, and the love of others to sustain us. Thanks to everyone who has emailed, called, or left comments on our blog. Your words mean so much to us.

The miracles of today:
1) The number of people who have helped without being asked.
2) The neighbors that we have bonded with. There is an incredible bond and friendship that has come from this. In fact, we learned that just up our street is another Linda and Dave and they, too, have a Stefanie or Stephanie. Fun, huh?! Their home is out of danger, but they have to use their boat to get out of the subdivision. They are trawling the area twice a day to make sure the "undesirables" are staying away. Despite all the great publicity to bring this tragedy to the attention of our county and state, we have had numerous "looky-loos" who come and go. We all worry about looters when are homes are once again accessible by car.
3) The owner of the local "Barbaritos" burrito restaurant, brought dinner for all of us this evening!
4) The attention and publicity has led to the following announcement by Governor Sonny Perdue: Thomas County, GA, has been declared a disaster area and all of us will be eligible for government grants. This is especially wonderful news for my neighbors who have no flood insurance. FEMA and GEMA were out to survey the situation just today.
5) We have an incredible daughter and son-in-law that have served us above and beyond. We love you guys! And, Danny has found me a cord for my camera, so I should be able to get more pictures posted soon.
6) Our work families have also been incredibly supportive---even an hour away, they all want to help! Can you believe that kind of generosity. Thanks to all of you!! Also, they have been supportive of our absence when we've needed to be here.
7) The Salvation Army is offering 2 nights of free lodging for those who need it.
8) All six dogs (my 4 and Stefanie's 2) are all getting along great!
9) The two surviving plecostomi (fish) from our huge 125 gallon fish tank were adopted by a local petshop. Unfortunately the two last goldfish, did not survive.
10) There has been less damage to the barn than anticipated.
11) Many things from the barn will be saved because they too were up on higher shelves. But, that will happen some time in the future.
12) Most of our friends and family have seen me in my wading boots, my swimsuit, mussed up hair, no make-up, and smelling to the high heavens----and they still give me hugs. Now that's real support. I figure many will be coming up to me in church on Sunday to find out who I am since they won't recognize me!
13) The swollen floor is still supporting the pool table and piano!

Well, it's time to wind down and watch the news cast. More work tomorrow as we sort through some stuff.

Many thanks to all! Please keep praying---we are feeling the effects and we believe that is why we are doing so well. There is no doubt in our minds whatsoever that the power of prayer can help you overcome anything. We are living proof!

And, one more thing--Hurricane Gustav is headed our direction. Hopefully, we will be spared, but who knows---please keep praying that we won't get more water.

We'll try to post some pictures tomorrow--so stayed tuned!

Much love,
Dave and Linda

5 comments:

Jill said...

I'm so glad that you have so much help. I wish we were closer. I told Ryan the other day that I was just itching to get on a plane and come help and give you a big hug. I wish I could!
I'm glad that you were able to get so much more stuff. It doesn't sound like the house is holding together too well though.:(
Thanks for all of your updates. It's nice to have a better idea of what you're going through.

Jenn said...

Love you and your family! You are a wonderful example of faith!

Anonymous said...

Linda and Dave, I had a dream about your trauma last night and it really was bothering me, so during the dream everything turned out good and I awoke more refreshed about it all, then I read your most recent news and then I thought, " I need to say something to these nice people". Hey, guys we're here if you need us, a place to sleep, food, you name it if we have it you've got it. Love, Frances and Pat Watson

The Aprecios said...

Good luck with everything! You guys are in our prayers!

Will and Lorri said...

We feel so hopeless and wanting to help so bad. The pictures tear at our hearts and we truly feel for you. We appreciate all the hard work to keep us informed with your blog. Above all we are glad you are safe despite some injuries. I have been in 1 flood and that was in Boston and I was young enough to just want to go swimming. We love you and still pray for you.